Future of AnyEvent?

Art Sackett asackett at gmx.com
Mon Feb 3 13:10:28 CET 2020

Howdy:

Resurrecting a long dead thread because it's been up my... 'scuse me, on
my mind, but at a low priority.

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 10:43:09AM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:

> > Instead we're told by some in the community (whose opinions have
> > prevailed) to blame ourselves if we get upbreakage, and by others in the
> > broader community to blame ourselves if failure to update allows our
> > systems to be cracked. If both of these assertions of who's to blame
> > are true, then one who wishes to avoid that blame has but one rational
> > choice: *stop using perl*.
>
> That is more or less exactly my line of reasoning, with the added corollary
> that I have an enourmous investment into perl, so I can't stop using it. And
> of course I don't want to.

:D Me too.

> > Which is why I'm asking about AnyEvent's chances of avoiding extinction.

> So, you tell me, I would be interested in why you think AnyEvent is going
> extinct - I massume it's only because of that test failure?

I don't believe that it's going extinct, I just worry that it might. Mom
and Dad are fighting, ya know? :-)

I was going to write a lot more, but what it boils down to is that in
the last decade or so most of my paying work has stood on AnyEvent,
IO::AIO, and usually Linux::Inotify2. The job that pays when it gets
done depends upon the functionality of libev and libeio, no matter how
the hell I get at them. I'd much rather it be through perl, of course,
but if that's not something that I can count on to get me to my American
retirement (the day I die) then maybe I ought to start porting the
modules that I rely upon now, before the screaming starts.

And oh hell no, I don't want to do that. I just can't tell my clients
that my junk won't run on whatever Debian and Red Hat are delivering as
perl to their repositories. Their IT guys would shriek.

And thanks, Marc, for what you do. I've thoroughly enjoyed using the
above mentioned stuff, and my clients are very happy with what I've
managed to do with it, too. I hear, "Wow, I didn't think perl could run
like that" a lot. Usually it's just a grin, but every now and then I
reply "It can't."

That's really the crux of the matter. It ain't perl doing that thing
that the people who pay me now expect from me. It's a personal problem,
of course, but one I'd appreciate your insight on if you've the time and
inclination at some point.

Be well!

--
Art Sackett