URxvt font ligatures support ?

Raito Bezarius masterancpp at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 14:12:18 CEST 2015

Le jeu. 13 août 2015 à 08:24, Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> a écrit :

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 01:12:40AM +0000, Raito Bezarius <
> masterancpp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wanted to know if font ligatures support was planned ? (or if it was
> > implemented, how to enable it ?)
>
> The problem is that urxvt (any terminal, really) is grid-based, and
> ligatures
> are not (they are basically multiple characters that render as one glyph).
>
> I don't think the problems with ligatures are solvable (how do you select
> text in the middle of a ligature for example?).

Ok, I didn't know a lot about ligatures, thanks for clarification.
Why can't we draw those multiple characters as one glyph and when we select
this one glyph, URxvt automatically _depack_ the glyph into multiple
characters ?

Finally, how Apple Terminal is able to support ligatures ?

> > Anyway, if no contributor is available or want to work on such feature, I
> > could give a try.
>
> Feel free, if you think it can be done.

Can you just tell me at which files I should take a look or if I should pay
attention to particular things ?
Thanks again !