rxvt-unicode 9.31 released
schmorp at schmorp.de
Mon Jan 2 23:56:24 CET 2023
We're happy to announce version 9.31 of rxvt-unicode. It can be found at
its usual place:
This release is mainly and primarily a security/bugfix release.
The biggest issue is resolving CVE-2022-4170, which allows command
execution inside urxvt from within the terminal (that means anything that
can output text in the terminal can start commands in the context of the
urxvt process, even remotely).
This bug is present in 9.30, but should not be exploitable. It is
exploitable in 9.26 and 9.25. Upgrading is advised in any case, although
chances are good you already got a patched version via your a distro
Otherwise, this release contains mostly minor bugfixes.
9.31 Mon 02 Jan 2023 18:13:16 CET
- implement a fix for CVE-2022-4170 (reported and analyzed by David Leadbeater).
While present in version 9.30, it should not be exploitable. It is exploitable
in versions 9.25 and 9.26, at least, and allows anybody controlling output to
the terminal to execute arbitrary code in the urxvt process.
- the background extension no longer requires off focus fading support
to be compiled in.
- the confirm-paste extension now offers a choice between pasting the original
or a sanitized version, and also frees up memory used to store the paste text
- fix compiling without frills.
- fix rewrapMode: never.
- fix regression that caused urxvt to no longer emit responses
to OSC color queries other than OSC 4 ones.
- fix regression that caused urxvt to no longer process OSC 705.
- restore CENTURY to be 1900 to "improve" year parsing in urclock (or at
least go back to the old interpretation) (based on an analysis
by Tommy Pettersson).
- exec_async (used e.g. by the matcher extension to spawn processes) now
sets the URXVT_EXT_WINDOWID variable to the window id of the terminal.
- implement -fps option/refreshRate resource to change the default 60 Hz
maximum refresh limiter. I always wanted an fps option, but had to
wait for a user requesting it.
- new clickthrough extension.
- perl now also requires Xext.
- X region and shape extension functionality has been exposed to perl
- RENDER extension no longer depends on ENABLE_XIM_ONTHESPOT.
The choice of a Deliantra, the free code+content MORPG
-----==- _GNU_ http://www.deliantra.net
----==-- _ generation
---==---(_)__ __ ____ __ Marc Lehmann
--==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / schmorp at schmorp.de
More information about the rxvt-unicode