URxvt bug: broken terminal after setting terminal size too large

Rastislav Barlik barlik-arch at gmx.com
Tue May 30 23:26:38 CEST 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017 22:42:21 +0200
Jesper Anderson <jesper at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 10:33 PM, Rastislav Barlik
> <barlik-arch at gmx.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not saying that XTerm's behavior is the correct one. What I'm
> > saying though is that the showing garbage in the terminal is not the
> > right thing to do. Just look at my screenshot after setting the
> > window to 2000 characters and putting it back.
>
> Sure. That should be fixed. And not avoided by breaking resizing of
> the terminal.
>
> If I ask for a size, I ask for a reason. If the terminal ends up a
> completely different size, that is incorrect behaviour. End of story.
> It's not up to the terminal to decide that it doesn't want to get
> larger than my screen is. That's my call.
>
> But it also shouldn't break, certainly.
>
> Are you by any chance using Linux kernel 4.4 and an Intel GPU? If so,
> there is a bug with SNA acceleration which causes that exact behaviour
> under some circumstances (though I haven't seen it reported on exactly
> this example). Try using BLT acceleration and see if the problem
> remains.
>
> // Jesper

Wow!

As you have suggested, it's actually a bug in the Intel GPU drivers.
I've tried changing my acceleration from SNA to UXA, and the problem
went away. I'm on the latest Linux 4.11.2-1 though.

Anyway, thanks a lot for help, I really appreciate it, I was definitely
not suspecting GPU drivers for this one.

Rastislav