Environment variable issue

Adrian Sendroiu molecula2788 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 16:31:10 CEST 2013

On 19 August 2013 17:08, Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> wrote:
> As a concrete and comparable example, imagine you corrupt half of your
> hard disk, and then expect all the remaining data to be somehow preserved
> or accessible by normal means. That expectation assumes that corrupting
> data has no effect on other data that hasn't been corrupted, which
> generally isn't the case.

I don't see this as a comparable example. This would be equivalent
with "randomly corrupting the RAM and then expecting the environment
to be preserved", which is clearly an invalid assumption.

But in our case we're not talking about raw data. The environment has,
after all, a relatively structured form, an array of entries. I don't
see why an error in one entry should propagate into every other. If
you corrupt one inode in the filesystem, the large majority of the
rest still remains intact right?