[rxvt-unicode] urxvt compiled against gcc 4.8.1 doesn't start

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 20:50:38 CEST 2013

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 09:25:15PM -0600, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I compiled/installed rxvt-unicode against gcc 4.8.1 and
>> compilation/installation went OK.
>
> Hi!
>
> Did you compile gcc/glibc/perl etc. yourself? Do you use gentoo?

Actually the problem is that rxvt-unicode uses the username as owner
and tty as group.  I think the easy approach is to include the user
into the tty group, and that solves the problem.

For some reason when recompiling tty the permissions were lost.  I was
not expecting that, :-)

On the other hand  there are other approaches like chmod +s, and some
others...  But I believe what I did before, and was lost with glibc
recompilation, was being part of the tty group.

If there's a recommended way, please let me know...

The problem I had is now identified and solved.  Thanks,

--
Javier.