urxvt-unicode shows some Japanese FULLWIDTH chars as HALFWIDTH

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Fri Nov 3 18:24:33 CET 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:41:44AM -0800, "Dai.H." <dg-f at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Some of Japanese FULLWIDTH symbol chars shown as HALFWIDTH.

urxvt uses whatever you tell it to use. If the locale you chose says
halfwidth, urxvt does halfwidth, if it says fullwidth, it does fullwidth.

> But Japanese terminal application treats them as FULLWIDTH, example vim.

My debian vim installation (7.0-035+1) correctly respects the locale with,
as should any well-written program do (xterm does not, which is a real
problem).

> Would you please support this feature?

This is already being supported for a long time. You have to use the
correct locale, and all correct programs will automatically adjust. Add a
dire hack breaks all programs that correctly respect the locale. Breaking
each and every program with such an option is a bad idea.

Which locale that is and how to enable it depends on your operating
system. The issue itself has nothing to do with urxvt.

--
                The choice of a
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      pcg at goof.com
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      http://schmorp.de/