problems with backspace when using greek language

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Sep 7 12:26:40 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:58:38AM -0400, George Nychis <gnychis at cmu.edu> wrote:
> I am rehashing this thread because I still haven't been able to solve it.

Maybe you should ask on an appropriate forum for your shell or
kernel/distribution then, as this has nothing to do with the terminal
emulator.

> Would you be able to give me any od/xxd examples that I could run as tests?

   od
   type a multibyte character
   ctrl-d
   => od outputs the corretc multibyte sequence

   od
   type a multibyte character
   backspace
   ctrl-d
   => od must not output anything as the whole character must be deleted

if this does not happen, the problem is in your kernels utf-8 support,
either it's missing or simply not switched on (urxvt tries to switch it on
on linux. but requires up-to-date kernel headers).

do the same with read. if it's not working properly, then your shell is at
fault, likely it simply doesn't care.

--
                The choice of a
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      pcg at goof.com