problems with backspace when using greek language

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Mon Aug 7 20:27:15 CEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 01:58:55PM -0400, George Nychis <gnychis at cmu.edu> wrote:
> > It does, if you use the same configuration. It really has nothing to do with
> > the terminal emulator, the terminal just sends a backspace. If your shell (or
> > kernel) incorrectly interprets it, then you need to tell it otherwise.
> >

> Thanks for the helpful response.  I was wondering how i determine
> whether my shell or my kernel only supports single-byte encodings, or is
> configured to do so.

well for example, you can use "read", as you did.

another way is to use od or xxd and run it "interactively". The first tests
your shell, the latter tests the ability of your kernel.

The only kernel with utf-8 support that I know of (there might be others)
is Linux. On those systems, urxvt will automatically set the utf-8 flag
(see man stty), if you had new enough kernel and header files, but you cna
also set it afterwards.

For the shell, check your locale settings. A nice way to test is "perl -e0",
this should not output any locale-related error message, and your locale
should use an utf-8 encoding.

--
                The choice of a
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      pcg at goof.com