problems with backspace when using greek language

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Mon Aug 7 18:12:05 CEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 04:57:01PM -0400, George Nychis <gnychis at cmu.edu> wrote:
> I have one problem that is not present in xterm but is in urxvt,
> whenever I hit a backspace, it leaves a hidden character, but only when
> using the greek language, for instance.

This is a problem of your shell or kernel (dependong on which os those
handles the editing), they have to be configured to using utf-8, too. The
same happens in xterm, too. Check wether you correctly configured an utf-8
locale for your shell, or, when the shell lets the tty handle the input,
check wether your kernel supports utf-8.

> Notice how there is an extra "ce" where i typed the backspace.

Thats because your shell or kernel only supports single-byte encodings, or
is configured to do so.

> does not happen in xterm.

It does, if you use the same configuration. It really has nothing to do with
the terminal emulator, the terminal just sends a backspace. If your shell (or
kernel) incorrectly interprets it, then you need to tell it otherwise.

--
                The choice of a
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      pcg at goof.com
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      http://schmorp.de/