problems with backspace when using greek language

George Nychis gnychis at cmu.edu
Thu Aug 3 22:57:01 CEST 2006

Hey everyone,

I just recently started using urxvt because of its unicode support.  In
xterm I was able to get unicode working perfectly, but wanted the
features of urxvt.

I have one problem that is not present in xterm but is in urxvt,
whenever I hit a backspace, it leaves a hidden character, but only when
using the greek language, for instance.
gnychis at monster ~ $ read ans; echo -n "$ans" | od -t x1
τεστ
0000000 cf 84 ce b5 cf 83 cf 84
0000010

I will type test using greek characters into a variable, hit backspace
on the e and re-type it:
gnychis at monster ~ $ read ans; echo -n "$ans" | od -t x1
τεστ
0000000 cf 84 ce ce b5 cf 83 cf 84
0000011

Notice how there is an extra "ce" where i typed the backspace.  This
does not happen in xterm.  This may seem like nothing since its
invisible, but the whole reason I chose the terminal was to practice my
greek words, where i read the word in a variable, then test it against
the real word.  Well, since i'm testing the two variables for equality,
they come up unequal when i use a backspace.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!
George