perl EV module on Android 10 (terminal emulator)

AC achirvasub at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 17:06:50 CEST 2021

I am running the Termux[0] terminal emulator on an Android 10 phone (aarch64), with perl v5.32.1.

I can force-install EV[1] with 'cpanm -f EV', but any attempt to use/require it fails:

$ perl -MEV

EV: cannot initialise libev backend. bad $ENV{LIBEV_FLAGS}? at /data/data/com.termux/files/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.32.1/aarch64-android/EV.pm line 1245.
Compilation failed in require.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

---

I do have my own version of libev on this device (available as a Termux package), and the first sample program[2] provided by 'man libev' (or 'perldoc EV::libev') works fine:

$ gcc evex.c -o evex -lev && ./evex

<hangs and waits for input, as expected, and prints 'stdin ready' after any input>

---

I have also tried exporting LIBEV_FLAGS to 0, 1, 2 or 3 to no effect.

How could I debug this further, to get to the root of the matter? Is EV perhaps getting confused by unusual library locations?

---