passenger's modification to libeio

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Apr 23 01:21:36 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 03:31:30PM -0600, Orion Poplawski <orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:
> phusion passenger 5.0.6 ships a modified libeio 4.15.  Fedora builds it
> against system libeio, so this fails due to missing symbols.  The full diff is:

This is a diff against libev, not libeio btw.

It's possible that these hacks work for passenger and the platforms it
supports, in which case it would need to be built with its custom version
as standard libev doesn't expose these internal values.

> Changes appear to be part of this commit:

If this is all, then these hacks are indeed only used to provide extra
logging information. Personally, I don't quite see why anybody would want
to log these fds, certainly not at the cost of breaking compatibility with
the standard version of libev, but the passenger authors are certainly
allowed to create their own custom libev version for that.

(One can log these values without modifying the libev sources as well, but
it would sitll need to be embedded for that).

> Which allows for some additional logging of fd opening/closing.  I know
> nothing about the motivation for this change, but I'm wondering if this would
> be accepted by libev?

I have no clue why anybody would want to log these fd numbers, especially as
they can change without notice. On the other hand, I can see how exposing
these values leads to some people using them, which would break down as
these fds are not always available, and the patches don't have a way of
notifying user code when an fd has changed.

For these patches to be accepted in libev, there would need to be a
reason, and at the moment, there are only reasons against this.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de