Driving a thread pool from libev

echo fatmck at 163.com
Sat Feb 14 10:37:18 CET 2015

I think that my application is doing a similar work like yours.

In my application, user requests are received from main thread, then the
requests are sent to data thread workers which will do some database
queries, and then results are sent back to main thread in which reponses
are made to users.

Here are how I implements this:
1) Each worker thread has its own ev_loop and a ev_async object. The
worker thread will call ev_run() to waiting notification of ev_async.
2) Each worker thread has a circle buffer (some thing like a pipe) for
receiving the request data from main thread.
3) When main thread got a new request, it find an idle worker and write
the request data to the worker's circle-buffer and notify the worker's
ev_async.
4) The worker will be notified in ev_run() and call the callback
function in which it read the request data from circle buffer and do
database queries.
5) Each worker thread has a circle buffer for sending result data to
main thread and another ev_async object. The database query result will
send to main thread in the same mechanism as step 3.
6) The main thread are waiting ev_async notification using ev_run(). So
the main thread will be notified and read the result data in callback.

My English is not very good, hope this helpful.

在 2015年02月14日 17:10, Rick van Rein 写道: