while(true) { ev_run(loop, EVRUN_NOWAIT); } much faster than ev_run(loop);

Hayk Martirosyan hayk at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 21 03:04:11 CET 2015

The events are IO watchers that invoke callbacks. I'm using the hiredis
bindings for Redis (libev adapter here
<https://github.com/redis/hiredis/blob/master/adapters/libev.h>). My
hardware is an ultrabook, i5 processor with four cores. Kernel is
3.13.0-44-generic, Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64. By faster, I mean that when I send
out more events than the system can handle (redis commands), I get 5x more
commands per second with the while loop than with the internally looping
ev_run call. Can you briefly explain why this is the case? The looped
version also consumes 100% CPU since it is an infinite loop, which I want
to avoid by letting libev internally handle the looping. My invocation is
here <https://github.com/hmartiro/redox/blob/master/src/redox.cpp>, line
132, if it matters.

Thank you,
Hayk