libev application stops responding and consumes 100% cpu

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Apr 8 00:54:11 CEST 2014

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 09:17:43AM -0700, Kirill Timofeev <kvt at hulu.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,

[...]

It's not prudent to include a bunch of x-note headers in your e-mail -
first of all, such headers are meaningless to others (and a nuisance
to some), and actually make your mail look like spam, as many spammers
include fake headers such as this to trick some e-mail systems into
accepting them.

> I've created libev based application, which works ok for some time,
> but at random moment it stops responding and consumes 100% cpu. Here
> is information on os and libev version:

Well, it's probably a bug in your application. It is possible that you trip
over a bug in libev 4.11, but not very likely - just try out 4.15 or current
CVS to see if that is the case.

> I generated core file from frozen process. Unfortunately I'm not
> expert, so the only thing I see is that process got stuck in ev_run:

Are you maybe calling ev_run in a loop? If libev is done it will return
from ev_run, and if you then call it again, it will just return again...

> Should I use latest code from official site or there is better way to
> resolve this issue?

Trying the latest code will make sure that it isn't something that has been
fixed, so should be done in any case.

More likely, though, this is some bug in your code, such as an endless loop
around ev_run, or memory corruption corrupting some watcher list, causing an
endless loop.

You'd need a better backtrace (with line number info etc.) to tell more.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de