libeio soname conflicts with Enlightenment's Eio

Jan Kaluža jkaluza at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 14:08:08 CET 2014

Hi,

as a package maintainer of some Fedora packages and co-maintainer of
rubygem-passenger package I have found out that rubygem-passenger needs
libeio to work.

I wanted to package libeio for Fedora and found out that the Eio library
provided by Enlightenment [1] conflicts with your libeio library. This
library uses the same soname as your libeio and therefore it's not
possible to package your library for Fedora.

I think the same situation will exist with other distributions too.

I wanted to ask upstream developers, if they are aware of that and if
there is some chance to get this fixed somehow (maybe renaming libeio?).
I think that it's easier to rename your libeio, becuase Enlightenment is
more widely used and is already in the most distributions.

[1] http://docs.enlightenment.org/auto/evas/eio_main.html

Regards,
Jan Kaluza