Perl EV does not detect epoll on Debian 7+

Robert Norris rob at eatenbyagrue.org
Mon Jul 15 03:42:47 CEST 2013

Makefile.PL does not detect epoll support on Debian 7+: $ perl Makefile.PL
... Enable epoll backend (y/n)? [n] n The reason for this is that
Makefile.pl checks for the existence of /usr/include/sys/epoll.h to decide
if support exists. Debian however does not have that file, because it
installs many of headers and libraries in architecture-specific dirs so it
can support multiple architectures sanely. dpkg -S sys/epoll.h
libc6-dev:amd64: /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/sys/epoll.h A naive fix
would be to check for /usr/include/*/sys/epoll.h, or to compute the
architecture name and build a path from there. A really nice fix would be
to use the compiler to test for the header (ala autoconf) but I know that
can be tough to get right across platforms. (I know there's a workaround
via the EV_EPOLL environment variable, but that doesn't help the defaults).