Patch for libeio

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Mar 6 11:45:27 CET 2012

On Tue, Mar 06, 2012 at 11:40:41AM +0100, Pierre-Yves Kerembellec <py.kerembellec at gmail.com> wrote:
> But it can be used from C++, right ? You are right for C++0x, but apparently not for the
> previous versions. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6372650/trailing-commas-and-c

C++11 actually, but sinc elibeio isn't written in C++, and doesn't need to be
compiled as c++ to be used form c++, and most compilers do allow trailing ","
for more than a decade, I don't think it should bother anybody.

When in doubt, gcc or llvm should compile it properly, and gcc is almost
certainly available for your platform.

It's also trivial to patch to port to outdated c++ compilers and/or
platforms.

> > Since that's equivalent to using a global variable (or a static
> > object member), what would the purpose of the patch be except to add
> > overhead? What aspect of C++ integration would become easier?
>
> Indeed, it's to avoid using a static class member (which I do not really fancy personally).
> Is this really a big overhead?

The ratio of usefulness to bloatedness approaches 0, because it doesn't
do anything, technically. All it does, apparently, is offer psychological
support for you for a specific kind of C++ phobia, namyle the unexplained
fear of global variables or static members :)

So even though the overhead is small, it breaks the API and has no
technical advantage whatsoever, so there is no value in applying it.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de