nio4r and the Ruby GIL revisited

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Fri Mar 2 21:59:41 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:35:32PM -0800, Tony Arcieri <tony.arcieri at gmail.com> wrote:
> The function signature is:

Ah, I realise now what the problem is.

Well, the only place to fix this is in ruby, because thats where the problem
is. The abstraction ruby chose is wrong, and unlike any other lock
implementation.

It's also impossible to support this idiotic api in any sensible way in
3rd-party libraries.

So, the only sane thing here is to fix ruby.

> reacquired. The Ruby gods apparently decided it was too dangerous to have
> separate lock/unlock functions and only provide this function pointer-based

I will not play bondage and discipline games. Ruby needs to be fixed and
the ruby gods need to learn good engineering. Anything else is madness.

> Is there a better solution here?

Sure, as by my first mail, provide two callbacks to do the work, this is more
flexible and is how everybody else does it on this planet.

There is no reason for ruby to torture other people because the ruby gods
are bad coders themselves. They should grow up :)

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de