lgpl

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Mon Feb 13 21:28:53 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 01:10:58PM +0300, "aladjev.andrew" <aladjev.andrew at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello. I want to create library based on your libev library which
> will be licensed under LGPL v2.

You have the option of using libev together with the 2-clause bsd license
or the GPLv2. Both can be combined with a LGPv2 library. You cannot use
libev under the LGPLv2 terms though.

> future projects based on my library can be proprietary. Can I make this
> or not?

If you want to include libev code, then you need to use the 2-clause bsd
license for libev and follow its terms:

 *   1.  Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
 *       this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
 *
 *   2.  Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
 *       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
 *       documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

so when somebody bases a proprietary program on your library (including
libev) and distributes a binary that is derived from libev code, then that
somebody needs to reproduce the copyright notice and the license in the
documentation somewhere (the manual is a good place, as well as a text
file that comes with the program).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de