Feature request: ability to use libeio with multiple event loops

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Jan 2 10:46:04 CET 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 02, 2012 at 01:29:39PM +0400, Yaroslav wrote:
> About point (2) I have questions:

You would probably learn a lot reading "What every programmer should know about
memory?" by U. Drepper [http://people.redhat.com/drepper/cpumemory.pdf].  In
particular Section 3.3.4 explains how CPU cache works in a multi-processor
setup (Section 3 is about CPU cache in general).  I think it would answer your
questions and give you a good overall view of the topic.

> (2.1) At what moments exactly this syncronizations occur? Is it on every
> assembler instruction, or on every write to memory (i.e. on most variable
> assignments, all memcpy's, etc.), or is it only happening when two threads
> simultaneously work on the same memory area (how narrow is definition of
> the area?)?

Only on writes, with the granularity of a cache line.

No idea about you other questions, sorry.

Best regards,
--
Gabriel