transmissionbt.com and it's "claims", and why double-checking is good

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Jan 11 16:48:38 CET 2011

> And checking some other claims reveals that this is not the only case of
> creative quote mining.

Charles Kerr just challenged me on this statement (funny how he applies much
higher standards to others than to himself - he still ignores my request to
provide the source for his (mis-)quote :)

Anyway, he wanted it, here it is: in the very same paragraph that gave
the out-of-context quote I mentioned earlier the website gives another
reference to support the claim that it is so lean:

   http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/BitTorrent

Unfortunately, what's actually written there is quite the opposite:

   Originally the NMT used a client called BPTD. Again like Transmission
   a Linux torrent client. BPTD would most likely still be the default
   client were it not for the fact that the majority of private trackers
   do not allow it. BPTD is not as feature rich as Transmission but has
   low cpu resource requirement.

So transmission was not chosen because it was so lean, but because all
the warez^Wprivate tracker groups require it, for some reason, and the
previous client was leaner in it's resource usage.

And that's it, I am sure interested parties can go there and check the
validity of other claims themselves.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de