transmissionbt.com and it's "claims", and why double-checking is good

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Jan 11 04:53:07 CET 2011

> Charles Kerr is now being moderated.

In fact, I just visited www.transmissionbt.com, the project he is affiliated
with.

The website actually uses misquoting to great effect, for example, we learn
that:

   Transmission has the lowest memory footprint of any major BitTorrent
   client. Imageshack chose Transmission for its BitTorrent farms because
   the competition "requires amounts of memory several times greater than
   Transmission".

The quote is exact, but out of context, the full quote is:

   "The Python + BitTornado combination requires amounts of memory several
   times greater then transmissioncli, so we use this client during selective
   downloads only."

So "bittornado" (which understandably uses more memory, being written in
python AND USING A GUI, while transmissioncli DOES NOT) suddenly becomes
"all major BitTorrent clients" (there is only one, huh?).

This kind of creative misquoting makes you wonder how much else of that
web page is actually true. And checking some other claims reveals that
this is not the only case of creative quote mining. Fortunately at least
the website links to the source of some of their claims.

If I were a transmission user, I'd thoroughly double-check their claims -
they definitely misquote what people actually say about their product.

Of course, what this means is, again, make up your own mind. Just because
some libev author publishes a benchmark does not mean the results of that
benchmark translate to your problem. And even if, checking for yourself
gives this warm fuzzy feeling... And if you can't replicate the results,
finding out why is like an orgasm, really...

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de