PATCH: Integrating libev with other runloops

Rasmus Andersson rasmus at notion.se
Sun Oct 24 02:53:05 CEST 2010

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 01:55, Christian Parpart <trapni at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, October 23, 2010 4:36 pm, Rasmus Andersson wrote:
>> Greetings, knights of libev.
>>
>> I'm part of the node.js dev community and are working on a library
>> version of node (which can be embedded in other programs). Many "host"
>> systems already use a runloop system of their own (e.g. OS X
>> applications use something called CFRunLoop) thus there's a need to
>> have node running in symbios with these systems.
>>
>> For this to work smoothly there's some information related to a libev
>> runloop which is not exposed through the API. We added the following
>> four functions:
> [....]
>
> Hey,
>
> first of all, I would really like to vote for that feature, too, but I
> think there won't by any 3.x release anymore, so this would make it in
> 4.00 the soonest.

I just realized that 4.0 was the current version after I posted the
above (I just joined the mailing list and peeked into the archives a
bit too late).

I've created a new patch for libev 4.00, which is attached.

> Well, I am developing a piece of software where I get frequently asked
> whether it is possible to use the Asio-framework (C++ networking library)
> with my code, and I had to hold them back and freeze for the moment
> because I did not yet have the time to digg into this.
> But if libev officially supports integrating into other event loops (or
> vice versa) then I'd highly appreciate it. :-)

Seems like a very common thing to do, now that libev pops up here and
there in different libraries.