Libev vs. libevent benchmark (reloaded)

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Tue Apr 13 15:26:19 CEST 2010

Marc,

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 05:10:29PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> If you ran the code unmodified, how did you do that? :)

See the attached script.  You might need to tweak it a bit (especially
the cpufreq-set call) but otherwise, it automates completely the
benchmark (provided you have the expected tools installed).

Please, double-check my patching of runbench just in case.

> Now, since libevent does an enourmous number of pointer operations,
> mutex ops, syscalls etc. per watcher setup in 2.0, I find this a bit
> questionable (but it's possible).

The results are available here:
http://wwww.pps.jussieu.fr/~kerneis/software/files/libev-vs-libevent

libevent2 is very fast, but still beaten when timeouts are involved.

Regards,
--
Gabriel Kerneis