Optimal multithread model

Gabriel Kerneis kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Mar 17 12:19:23 CET 2010

Christophe,

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:25:56AM +0100, Christophe Meessen wrote:
> Gabriel Kerneis a écrit :
> >I benchmarked a number of "green threads" libraries and found State
> >Threads to be far more efficient than Pth.  OTOH, Pth focuses on
> >portability, and I have not idea how State Threads behaves on anything
> >but a Linux box.  YMMV.
> Did you include libcoro in your comparision ?

No, I was not aware of it.  And I studied threads, not coroutines.  The
idea was to have a very similar code, only change the "yield" and
"create" primitives to use several libraries.  Using libcoro would
probably have required to make extensive changes to the small server I
benchmarked.  It would have made more sense to add libev to the bench,
for instance (but then again, I did not know it by that time).

You can find the results here:
http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00434374/fr/

(Disclaimer: if I had to redo this study, I would probably do it
differently.  But I moved to something else and do not have time anymore
to spend on this.)

Regards,
--
Gabriel Kerneis