ev_stat inotify implementation might miss events

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Jan 26 21:52:01 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 07:53:18PM +0100, Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann.v at prelude-ids.com> wrote:
> After looking at Linux kernel 2.6.32 kernel code, I can confirm that my
> understanding is not flawed.
>
> I guess you then need to explain why this is a security bug ;)

Actually, it's not called fsnotify - the synchronous mechanism is
_fanotify_, which is implemented to get one event per change. (That's why
I wasn't sure about the name, I looked it up now, again, you can do that,
too, fsnotify is a good starting point).

fsnotify is the new mechanism that is used to implement dnotify, inotify
(which do not give you one event/change and can lose events) and fanotify
(which is synchronous and is used by security-sensitive applications that
need one change per event).

Here are the patchsets:

http://people.redhat.com/~eparis/fsnotify/http://people.redhat.com/~eparis/fsnotify/

Here is some info about it:

http://lwn.net/Articles/339253/

> Google Source search is your friend

or in this case, simply google search. Note it isn't _my_ job to correct
you all the time, it is _yours_.

Just check your facts - each time you start with "it is my understanding"
you were wrong so far.

If I can do it, so can you.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de