ev_stat inotify implementation might miss events

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Jan 26 16:29:27 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 04:23:24PM +0100, Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:40:19AM +0100, Yoann Vandoorselaere <yoann.v at prelude-ids.com> wrote:
> > As I understand it, inotify guarantee that you'll get an event for every
> > changes on the file.
>
> That is impossible unless you make everything synchronous, so inotify
> cannot guarantee it.

Actually, you might confuse inotify with fsnotify or whatever it's called,
which actually does give you what you expect, but it's very performance
sensitive (you have to ack every action) and of course it requires
elevated privileges, so not suitable for libev (which is only interested
in stat changes).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de