compiling EV / libev on windows

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Mon Oct 19 05:47:51 CEST 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 06:12:56PM -0700, Simon <simonhf at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can compile EV for Perl on windows and all Perl tests pass. However
> the resulting .dll is only usable by Perl. How can I modify the EV
> build scripts so that an additional libev.lib file is generated which
> can be linked against C source rather than Perl,

> the Perl EV module test suite to test the libev.lib which will be used
> in a non-Perl, C language project. It would be very 'comfortable' (as

Cannot be done - if you want to have libev only, you should build libev,
not the perl module, as the resulting binary libev depends on perl.

If you want to use the testsuite for EV, you should use the resulting perl
module (it has a C API), but of course that requires perl in your binary
somewhere then.

Your request is sane, but hardly doable on windows, as libev built for
perl necessarily has a different ABI (and requires the perl runtime
support) then the one built standalone.

(And yes, that's all due to both microsoft not having a standard C ABI and
microsoft not following POSIX, which emans all programs have to implement
soem glue code to their env, and that glue code is inside perl for EV, and
inside your program for standalone builds).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com