compiling EV: problem with win 64 and/or latest cl.exe version?

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Wed Oct 14 20:58:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 07:49:58PM +0100, James Mansion <james at mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> For C++, yes, though in Microsoft's case its actually less bad than gcc
> versions.

No, for C, and it's far worse than for gcc (at least for non-microsoft
platforms, on windows, gcc necessarily has to follow all the
incompatibilities that microsoft forces on the world) :/

> But I think you're making an overgeneralisation saying that about a C
> code if its been compiled with
> appropriate flags.

Well, if you used all those appropriate flags (I don't think there are
flags for all incompatibilities), then that's fine.

However, from your comment about gcc and c++, it seems you are confused
- I am talking solely about binary compatibility here, and that's set by
microsoft, nothing gcc could do about it for example.

So my original suggestion of using a compiler known to be comaptible
still holds (especially since EV works in a number of my programs, and
activestate got it to work, and the crucial difference seems to be that
both activestate and I use the matching compiler).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com