How do I cancel a timer?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Fri Dec 19 00:52:30 CET 2008

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> If you want double-checking, you could use a language better suited for
> learning, such as Perl: the Perl interface to libev (EV) actively checks
> for these cases (actually, perl does), as it manages initialisation for
> you (actually by not letting you initialise). In general, C is a difficult
> language, as it doesn't check your data (or your pointers) for validity,
> or tells you when you access iuninitialised memory etc.

This is so nineties, seriously :)

C is not a difficult language at all, and it doesn't have to be. A well
written well structured library should give the programmer assertions
that the code is still sane, and when you are on a critical performance
path, you should be able to make the assertions disappear using a #define.

Performance means nothing whatsoever if the code is unreliable, and if
your code doesn't help my code be reliable, a point is reached when the
library collapses under it's own weight:

man assert

Regards,
Graham