EV_ERROR for ev_io events?

Eric Brown yogieric.list at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:49:36 CET 2008

I had been requesting EV_ERROR events on my io watchers -- mostly because
that's what I used to do years ago when I had to manually create FD_SETs. Of
course, I don't recall ever getting an ERROR event ever.
And, I noticed libev just added an assertion that EV_ERROR events weren't
valid for io events (ev.c:2130).

I'm guessing this is not a bug in libev and some man page somewhere says
ERROR events will never be generated on io events? Besides, since I've never
seen one, it is probably fine anyway.

Out of curiosity, does the OS ever generate ERROR events for any type of
selectable file descriptor? If so, when?

Cheers,
Eric