if there's ever time...IOCP possible?

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Nov 13 08:44:29 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:17:46PM -0700, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if it would be possible to add IOCP (to emulate event driven
> architectures) to libev.
> http://code.google.com/p/spserver/ might have a working libevent with
> this style architecture..
> http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/32292639/integrate-windows-io-com.aspx

Besides, that solution works only for 63 sockets (or requires extra
threads for each set of 63 handles), and it doesn't support the libevent
or libev API in that you have to special-case listen sockets.

Select at least has the advantage of working with more than 63/64 sockets
and also featuring non-blocking connects and accept without having to have
a windows-specific hack in every libev user.

it's just the wrong thing to do - if you think having windows-specific
hacks in the app to support windows is fine, then you can just use the
win32 api directly on windows, no need to use libev.

I can't stress this point enough: the goal of libev is to offer the posix
model in as simple a way as possible. If a platform has no well-performing
way to do that, then libev still has to work correctly, which is the case
with windows at the moment.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com