event.h conflict between libev and libevent

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Aug 12 23:40:57 CEST 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:16:40PM -0400, Michal Nowak <mnowak at redhat.com> wrote:
> Do you thing it could be possible to avoid such conflict on upstream
> basis?

Unlikely, the "conflict" is by design.

> Giving example, to install event.h, ev.h and ev++.h to /usr/include/libev
> by default?

That would break applications that expect to find it as event.h (basically
all libevent applications).

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 01:06:27PM -0400, Michal Nowak <mnowak at redhat.com> wrote:
> ----- "Matt Tolton" <matt at tolton.com> wrote:
> > Why not just leave out event.h?  That's just for libevent
> > compatibility.
>
> Thanks, that was my original decision.

Why not do it like other distributions such as debian, where the common
header files are installed as alternatives, or optionally?

event.h is an alternative to the libevent event.h, it's not an unrelated
header file, it serves the same purpose in both libraries.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com