libeio, Windows

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Jun 5 10:38:50 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 05:37:08PM -0600, Tony Arcieri <tony at medioh.com> wrote:
> > They are complementary, not exclusive to each other. Using one does not
> > preclude using the other, in fatc, most programs would probbaly take
> > advantage of both if both are available.
>
> My main use case would be a generic Proactor for file descriptors, hence my
> concern over a lack of support from sockets.
>
> If I'm understanding you correctly, libeio doesn't fit Proactor semantics.

Yes, but neither does libev or any event-library support that
completely. It is simply unreasonable to expect a single mechanism to work
with every type of hardware, software and protocol.

Ultimately, it is the job of the application to chose the correct
mechanism, a good library will offer both and lets the app select the most
appropriate interface.

Even the attempt to apply a single mechanism to e.g. both sockets and
files is simply bad and broken design, independent of any "patterns".

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com