libeio and plattform specific aio

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Wed Jun 4 22:15:19 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 04, 2008 at 12:10:42PM +0200, Aleksandar Lazic <al-libev at none.at> wrote:
> >would of course be very welcome (especially if some benchmark showed
> >how this affects resource usage and efficiency), but it is likely too
> >early to use native aio on most operating systems.
>
> So, you mean threads are the plattform independed solution.

Yes, pthreads to be exact (there is a pthreads implementation for win32
which I use with my BDB module, which in turn uses the same xthreads.h and
threadpool implementation as libeio, and works fine).

And apart from win32, pthreads are ubiquitious - and if you don'tr have
pthreads, you don't have aio anyways.

> There are some thread implementations out there do you mean the 'build
> in' or bundled with libeio, maybe pthreads or something similar?

libeio requires pthreads (the xthread.h implementation once used native
threads on windows, but it turned out to be a real pain to get stable
condition variables on windows, which is why it now relies on the
pthreads-for-win32 library).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com