Libev on windows, binding to the D language

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Wed Jun 4 09:34:36 CEST 2008


On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 11:21:29PM +0100, James Mansion <james at mansionfamily.plus.com> wrote:
> Marc Lehmann wrote:
> >- get rid of silly, idiotic, and threatening disclaimers.
> >  
> Good grief.  Get a life, Marc.

You might have missed reality completely:

> Anyone coding in a professional capacity in a medium or large business
> is liable to have absolutely no say in whether such disclaimers get
> added.

This is total bullshit:

- I have full say in that.
- the original poster with the disclaimer also had that capacity.
- every other person with such a stupid disclaimer in the past was
  capable of switching it off.

> In some cases its effectively a regulatory requirement.

It's trivial to work around this so-called requirement in all cases I have
seen so far.

Note also that in some countries, you can get into jail for doing
"interesting" things, such as voting for the opposition party, or
demonstrating against the government. It's the law...

The fact that such stupid requirements exist does not mean I need to
support them.

Your argument of "it's a requirement in some cases" has no value
whatsoever.  It is stupid, it is anti-social.

> Its hardly condusive to helping libev users if they can't post here to get

True - but what you desribe ("cannot post here") has not happened, and there
is no indication that it will ever keep people from posting here.

This is juts a red herring.

> support without forwarding stuff home and then posting from home (I've had
> to do that, but I'd rather not hang out anywhere someone takes that sort of
> attitude).

You are free to go if you disagree, that's your right. At least, I think it
should be your right, maybe it's a regulatory requirement where you live...

> >- take responsibility - if you send a virus, you clearly are responsible
> >  for that.
> >  
> If you send it, maybe.  If it arrives with a virus in, that's something 
> else again.
> There's no guarantee that plain mail arrives as sent.

Another red herring. The fatc that mail could be manipulated does not mean
it will be manipulated. This kind of argument is just stupid.

> The reality is that most people who know enough to even consider using
> something like libev probably know that, but that doesn't mean that its not
> worth pointing out to everone else.

It is pointless to point it out here, as it has nothing to do with the issue
at hand.

And if you disagree with the policies of this list, you are free to leave.

Threatening with legal action, or forcing the receive to make extra
checks, is just plain stupid, and very unfriendly towards other people on
this list.

-- 
                The choice of a       Deliantra, the free code+content MORPG
      -----==-     _GNU_              http://www.deliantra.net
      ----==-- _       generation
      ---==---(_)__  __ ____  __      Marc Lehmann
      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com
      -=====/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\



More information about the libev mailing list