valgrind stuff

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Thu Apr 10 00:52:22 CEST 2008

> >>http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-September/005724.html

In case anyone wonders, quoting from gnu/linux manpages is a very bad
idea, they are often very wrong and in contradiciton to both reality and
the unix specification.

The unix specification says:

   In each pollfd structure, poll() clears the revents member except that
   where the application requested a report on a condition by setting one
   of the bits of events listed above, poll() sets the corresponding bit
   in revents if the requested condition is true.

   If none of the defined events have occurred on any selected file
   descriptor, poll() waits at least timeout milliseconds for an event to
   occur on any of the selected file descriptors.

Without contradiction, revents *is* cleared by any successful call to poll.

   Upon successful completion, poll() returns a non-negative value.

A return value of 0 is non-negative, and therefore the call was successful.

Again, one should report this as a bug in valgrind, flagging correct
programs is a bug in valgrind, and nothing else.

And so far, I have seen zero evidence for this beign a problem in
practise, although I admit I haven't tested this very widely. However,
even if real systems do not implement poll like above, this is likely a
bug in those systems as well (as usually they follow sus), and should be
reported.

I am strictly against implementing kludges on top of bugs instead of
fixing them, whenever possible.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com