[ANN] Ebb Web Server

Tony Arcieri tony at medioh.com
Fri Apr 4 20:00:18 CEST 2008

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Marc Lehmann <schmorp at schmorp.de> wrote:

> Well, I don't know much about ruby's versioning, but if it were perl,
> then it would only be a matter of time until 1.8 would be obsoleted (in
> the sense of: even though many people might use it, it is fine io have
> suboptimal solutions for it).

That's pretty much my attitude about it as well.

> It is not easy (or maybe "obvious") to design a coroutine/thread system
> and an event library so one can combine them. Myself I learned a great
> deal from the few event systems that allow that, and implementing both a
> coroutine/thread scheduler and and even library helped immensely in
> understanding the requirements. Everybody should do that :->

Revactor, the Actor library I wrote, uses a coroutine system in which the
coroutines are suspended by waiting for asynchronous messages.  The event
system (using Rev) feeds asynchronous messages to the coroutines.

It's a similar approach to how the Rubinius VM (Ruby VM based off the
Smalltalk 80 design) works, and that's also using libev underneath.

--
Tony Arcieri
medioh.com