New iteration over the ev++ improvement patch.

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Fri Jan 25 15:01:46 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:24:16PM -0200, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That is not the purpose of the global default loop: If you want special
> > initialisation, call e.g. ev::default_init ().
>
> Damn! That was what I wanted in the first place but you didn't liked the
> init stuff! :S

I can't really remember that you had that, most likely, you had something
similar and I wasn't specific enough in my "complaints".

Besides, this API needs to develop itself: requirements and initial
assumptions have changed a number of times.

> > Well, its all a matter of abstraction. I would vastly prefer the variable
> > form because thats what I would expect, but feel free to overrule me here.
>
> I prefered the variable (the complete one, with all the methods) too, but
> you complained about it.

Yes, and I still complain about it, I don't think it makes sense. "Your"
variable method has nothing to do whatsoever with "my" proposed varaible
method.

> If you want to have the variable, I'd like to
> provide it as a full loop object as in here[1], so all methods can be

loops are not value-type objects, however. treating them like ones
confuses users majorly (I have asked). loops are only references. thats
the crucial difference, not full objects that you can copy around and do
instance-sharing internally.

> Doing your anonymous struct trick is the same to provide just a ev_loop
> pointer.

Can you explain how you would do the same with just an ev_loop pointer
(i.e. how do you initialise it?)? I don't think it can be done, so I claim
they are not at all the same.

I will only give my thoughts, as I said, you can overrule me (or, in the
case where I didn't explain myself clearly, I'd be happy to explain it),
but the last decision is to be done by you (but I _do_ reserve the right
for me to just change stuff when I think it is required :).

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com