Why does libev comes with event.c and event.h?

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Tue Jan 8 19:46:57 CET 2008

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 12:03:18PM -0200, Leandro Lucarella <llucax at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi! I'm making a debian package out of libev-2.01.tar.gz and I founded
> that it comes with event.{c,h}. I thought libevent compatibility stuff
> only came with libevent-1.4.0-beta+libev-2.01.tar.gz.

No, the libevent core API compatibility layer is an integral part of libev.

> The problem is the resulting package conflicts with libevent package
> (because both have event.h),

I guess thats correct, because both offer this API and such are alternatives
for the libevent core API.

> but it has not much sense because no libevent.{a,so} are built anyways
> (or is event.c compiled into libev.{a,so}?).

event.c is compiled into libev indeed.

> I can make a workarround removing event.h from the package, but I was
> under the impression that libev distrubution was free of libevent stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, libev is "free of libevent stuff", meaning
code and header files, but the libevent compatibility layer is of course
not taken from libevent (it doesn't need a compatibility emulation for
itself), but part of libev (see the copyright statements in event.h and
event.c).

> Is this a "bug" or I was under a wrong impression? =)

I would say its a feature. Removing event.h would break it.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      pcg at goof.com