EV on AIX?

Marc Lehmann schmorp at schmorp.de
Sun Apr 29 01:57:00 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 08:02:21AM -0600, Darin McBride <darin.mcbride at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Saturday April 28 2012 2:24:45 PM Marc Lehmann wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:28:07PM -0600, Darin McBride
> > Hmm, I am not aware of any fix needed for aix at the moment, and I don't
> > really get anything out of the quote either, which fix do you mean? You
> > mean xlC thread support?
>
> I mean the one that is in your cvs for libev with the entry in the Changes
> file:
>
>       - (ecb) add memory fence support for xlC (Darin McBride).

Hmm, that dds support for xlC, it doesn't really fix anything.

> > Looking at the old thread, there are lots of feasible workarounds
>
> You mean using -DECB_NO_SMP or -DEV_NO_THREADS?

Or using gcc, or pthreads.

> especially considering there is a fix in your cvs that just simply hasn't been

Except it doesn't fix anything, certainly not the problem you have.

> > Well, the soltuion for not wanting to patch would be to not patch. Also,
> > your problem with your legal department seems to be a problem with your
> > legal department, and the solution would be to solve that problem - a
> > release of libev will not fix any legal or procedural issues.
>
> Sure it will.

Simply insisting on this does not make it so. Again, you have a problem,
and it's with your legal department. A libev release cannot fix this
problem. Postpone it maybe, hide it maybe, but the problem will not go
away.

> but this is all relative.  They don't like us patching code for shipment
> because they think that opens us up to something legal.

You still don't have to patch code for that.

      --==---/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /      schmorp at schmorp.de